Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lesson Learned

I should have learned my lesson after the first time around at Walmart...

The girls have suddenly become increasingly interested in the "stuff" on the shelves around them in stores.  I used to be able to blissfully walk up and down the aisles and they were happy just riding along.  Now I must carefully navigate in the exact center of the aisle so they can't reach out and grab something off the shelf.  They cry after stuffed animals, they pull shirts off the rack by their sleeves.  Then...well, then there are those ginormous bins of brightly colored balls at Walmart.  They cause a downright meltdown.  I began altering my route around the store so that we don't have a ball-induced fit.

Well, I noticed from afar the other day that they had a bin of smaller balls for $1.  I was going to make the girls' day...I immediately steered the double stroller towards the bin and announced to the girls, "You get a ball today!"  I pulled out a pink one and handed to Lily and a purple one and handed it to Harper.  They were absolutely thrilled!  They finally were holding in their hands one of those highly coveted, brightly colored balls.

I imagined the rest of my shopping trip going so peacefully as the girls were enamored with their new toy.  For a few minutes it did.  I was busy looking at paint colors and I hear, "Uh oh!" and a pink ball comes bouncing down the aisle at me.  I laugh.  I hand it back to Lily.  "Hold onto it, Lil."  I go back to my shopping.  Little did I know a game had been created right then and there.  I swear to you, I spent the next 20 minutes diving, lunging, running after and apologizing over loose balls through the store.  I was literally sweating by the time I made it to checkout.  I had a small epiphany as the checkout lady said, "Make sure they hold onto those balls out in the parking lot.  You wouldn't want to have to go running across the parking lot after a ball."  Point taken.  I shoved a ball under each arm, tried to carry all my bags, push the stroller and calm screaming girls who wanted their balls back.  I'm sure I was quite the site  heading to my minivan.

Ok, mistake made.  Lesson learned.  So, what was I thinking when I entered Hobby Lobby and decided I could "buy myself some time" by giving the girls something to play with while I shopped?  So, what did I choose?




Yes, those are giant Easter eggs.  And, yes, before you ask...I spent the entire time chasing eggs as they rolled down the aisles.  This time I have learned my lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Love my precious girls and their mommy.Your stories of life are just great and thankful we can share them with you. Lily and Harper has a Great Aunt that wants to see pictures without "nasty".
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete