Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Random Trifecta of Stuff I Like

Three random things have made my life more complete recently.  I will share them with you in no particular order. 

1) www.SkinnyTaste.com:  Um...have you visited this website yet? You must go there now and start planning your meals for next week.  I love it.  Aaron loves it...and he is much more picky than I am!  Gina of Skinny Taste takes favorite recipes, comfort foods, ethnic flavors, etc and "slims them down", in her words.  Basically, she has worked out recipes that make these favorites more healthy while not sacrificing taste.  (It seems to be a Weight Watcher's favorite as all recipes include points and many of the commenters are WW people.)  Anyway, every recipe I have tried from this website has been delicious. Aaron thought the Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken was the best crock pot meal he has had.  It is just that good.  And, to top it all off, who among us doesn't need to eat a little healthier?  So, visit now and try the Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa Verde - oooohhhh, or maybe the Chicken Pot Pie Soup.  Trust me on this one.  I wouldn't steer you wrong when it comes to food.

2) Amazon Mom:  If you have a little one in diapers - or perhaps two little ones in diapers such as myself - you must visit Amazon and join this program (right after you plan your meals on Skinny Taste).  Basically, Amazon has completely changed the way tons of moms out there are buying diapers.  This free program gives you 30% right off the top of a box of diapers just for signing up.  It also comes with an Amazon Prime membership giving you free 2 day shipping.  Then you can sign up for their Subscribe and Save Program which takes another 15% of the price of the box of diapers.  (The S&S program just sets up a recurring order for this item.  I just cancel the subscription after I place the order.)  My Parents magazine has a 20% off diapers coupon in it every month.  Amazon lets you stack all these discounts.  I am getting a $40 box of around 200 diapers for $20 and it is delivered for free to my doorstep.  It is fabulous. I order Pampers for less than the price of a box of generic store brand diapers that aren't half as good!  Maybe only someone who diapers two little bottoms every.single.day can appreciate what a phenomenal deal this is.  But, I think any mom who has ever cringed at the price as she threw diapers in her cart at Wal-Mart can come to appreciate it!

3)  Amy Butler Birdie Sling:  I have always had a mild obsession with bags.  I love bags of all types - purses, totes, backpacks.  I just love them.  Many women have a "thing" for shoes.  I have decided that my "thing" is bags.  Insert into my passion my transformation into a mom.  I have grown tired of carrying a purse and a diaper bag everywhere I go.  Though my girls are at an age where I don't have to tote the entire house around, it is a necessity for me to have on-hand a couple of diapers, some wipes, maybe a sippy cup or two.  What is a girl to do?  More accurately, what is a girl obsessed with bags to do?  I became determined to find "the perfect bag" as my carry-all.  It would house my wallet and Burt's Bees as well as my Pampers and pacifiers.  After extensive research (read: spending hours on Etsy), I found my perfect bag.  You can purchase this bag already made all over the Internet.  However, being the master seamstress that I am (this is sarcasm), I decided that I should just buy the pattern and attempt to make my own with my own fabric choices.


I am pretty pleased with how it turned out!  Please excuse my photography skills. I am really, really lacking in this area.  But, you get the idea.  It is the perfect bag with big pockets on either side to house my kid necessities and roomy enough in the bottom to hold my supplies.  I love this bag so much I made 2 more as gifts.  I have my eye on some fabric for another version for myself as well!  I have received a ton of compliments on it as I am out and about. I have simply said "Thank you!" and refrained from telling everyone that I actually made it.  It's the little things that keep me humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment