Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Confessions

So, I have a few confessions about myself. Since staying home, I have changed. I have discovered all these hidden passions, obsessions and talents in myself. Whether I really have changed or these aspects of my personality were always laying under the surface waiting to be discovered, I do not know. A few years ago, I would have scoffed at the mere mention of some of these things. I don't know who I am anymore.  I have decided to come clean and outline a few of these changes for you:

1. I shop at Aldi. Let's be honest, I am not a completely different person.  I am never going to buy generic toilet paper or those cleverly-named store brand soft drinks like Mountain Mist (A discerning Coca-Cola drinker such as myself could always tell the difference.) But, when it comes to things like milk, eggs and bananas, I'm all about saving a buck. Hey, we're a one income family and I can't be too proud to pay a quarter to use a shopping cart and bag my own groceries. I actually kind of like Aldi.

2. I like Kathie Lee Gifford. I've always had this "thing" about the Today Show. It's a necessity to start my day. Since staying home, I have discovered all the extended hours of the show that go on long after Matt Lauer has left the studio. The last hour features Hoda and Kathie Lee. Kathie Lee is kind of one of those people you love or you hate. For some reason that I do not quite understand, I fall into the "love" category. Who knew?

3. I am obsessed with 19 Kids & Counting. I think I want to grow up to be Michelle Duggar (minus the hair style - I could never pull off the long hair look). I know, I know. Most people think they are over-the-top, religious and cheesy...But, if you watch the show, you may find that, much like me, you AGREE with them on much more than you DISAGREE with them. I can overlook the different hairstyles and fashion for a family that is all about teaching their kids to serve others. They have taught me a ton about relevance versus making an impact with people. They "get it" when it comes to loving people right where they are while just being who they are. (If you don't believe me, watch the episode where the Duggars wander into a "head shop" while site-seeing in San Francisco. They don't act shocked or give a disapproving head shake. They make pleasant conversation with the owner about their mutual love of tie-dye! You can tell their friendliness really made an impact on the hippie store owner!). As a side note, I might or might not have a copy of the Duggars' book in iBooks. Man, I could write a whole post on the Duggars! Perhaps I will someday.

4. I secretly think I would do a really good job being the female singing voice on all those Fisher Price Laugh and Learn toys. Seriously, I know all the songs by heart and Lil & Harp think I am really good.

5. I consider it an official "outing" to ride through the drive-thru at McDonald's and get a Coke. I have serious fears that my girls' first multi-word phrase will be "Large Coke in a styrofoam cup, please." I am, however, always careful to say "please" so they learn politeness.

6. I sometimes dance with Ellen. Hey, it gets a laugh from Lil & Harp. If you don't get this one, then you obviously have never watched afternoon TV during nap time.

7. I get a little too excited about the mailman - and forget it if the UPS man comes. That's a really big day. (I will probably celebrate with a Coke from McDonald's)

8. I have a great love of naps - both mine and those of little children for whom I am responsible. And, yes, I sometimes take naps. Then, I feel guilty and try to not sound groggy when Aaron calls and wakes me up. "Sleeping, what? No, I wasn't asleep! These girls are just climbing the walls and keeping me busy!". Then I feel even more guilty about lying and confess to him when he gets home from work that I was, in fact, sleeping. "I know, babe," he says.

1 comment:

  1. Leigh! I'm so excited you are blogging!!! I laughed out loud for at least 5 full minutes reading your most recent post. :) Can't wait to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete