Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Players (Part 1)

I have no idea if anyone that doesn't know me in real life will ever lay eyes upon this blog.  However, as nothing more than a creative exercise - if anything - I feel it necessary to outline the players in my domesticated life.  It is only logical to start with the only man in our house, my husband, Aaron.

Here he is with three of the women in his life: Calli, Lily & Harper.  But, more on them later.

I don't tend to be a gushy person.  Do you know what I mean by that?  I don't tend to go on and on professing how great someone is.  I tell the person how I feel.  Beyond that, I like to think that my feelings tend to lose a bit of their genuineness when I am spouting them to the whole world to hear.  But, it's my blog and I guess it's my place to share my feelings.  So, here goes.

The highest compliment I can pay to Aaron is this:  He is nothing I ever expected my husband to be and yet he is everything I ever needed.  He is the heart to my head.  He is selfless and expressive in his feelings. He makes me feel loved and secure.  He is my home.  I often tell him that wherever life may take us, my home is with him.  Home is where he is.

From our first date, I think we spent every single day (minus a mission trip) of our 9 month courtship together.  We, to this day, simply never tire of being together.  No matter how mad I am at him...I don't ever want him farther away than the other end of the couch.  Speaking of our 9 months of dating, it was - without a doubt - the most romantic 9 months of my life. I waited 28 years for Aaron and my waiting was rewarded.  When I found it, I just knew that I knew that I knew that I knew that he was the "One".  It culminated on a 90 degree "fall" day when I walked down the aisle to him and he sobbed like a baby.  I, on the other hand, couldn't shed a tear nor wipe the smile off my face.

Aaron understands that being married means serving one another, daily, in the little ways.  He does that.  He actually looks for ways to serve me.  It is a "want to" attitude, not a "have to" attitude. He prays for me and with me and with our girls.  He knows how to love us as Christ loved the Church.

On top of all this, he is the best "wheeler dealer" I have ever met.  Aaron can get a deal on anything.  We never, ever, ever pay full price for anything.  Aaron can work a deal like none other be it a TV, a car, a treadmill or a computer.  He knows how to hustle and make a dollar.  I never fear making ends meet. Aaron can always, always make a buck, find a buck or get it free.  He is a provider for our family in every sense of the word and there is a great deal of security in that.

Watching him as a daddy the last 15 months has been every bit as wonderful as I knew it would be.  Not that there haven't been harsh words at 3 am when TWO babies are crying or long periods of the silent treatment with screaming babies on a road trip.  There has been plenty of that.  But, Aaron has been my partner through all of it.  I often think the greatest tip you can give to expectant parents of twins is this:  teamwork.  You have to work together.  Aaron is my partner in parenting.  More importantly, he loves those little girls and shows them with his attention and his time.  They are lucky to have him for their Daddy.

That, in a nutshell, is my Aaron...the first player in this domesticated adventure I'm on!

No comments:

Post a Comment