Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's a Family Tradition

I've been on a quest the last couple of weeks for hugely discounted Christmas ornaments.  It's become almost an obsession.  But, the stores' discounted Christmas displays are slowly giving way to Valentine's and even St. Patrick's Day merchandise.  That coupled with the fact that I'm not just looking for any old ornaments - rather very specific ones has made it a huge challenge.  But, let me back up a bit...

We had a really rushed Christmas this year. That coupled with the fact that our girls are getting older, has led Aaron and I to have a few discussions regarding traditions, holidays, Santa, intentionality, etc. We really have a desire to create some lasting, meaningful traditions with our girls around Christmas that enforce the faith that we are trying to teach them the other 364 days in the year.

I recently discovered several bloggers discussing their family tradition of the Jesse Tree Advent. Each day of December has a corresponding family devotion and symbolic ornament that traces Jesus' heritage through Old Testament prophecies and stories. I love the idea so I am jumping in! I am using this book (there are lots out there). I have also decided to use "real" ornaments rather than the crafty ones in the book.  Thus, my quest for all these unusual ornaments like a silhouette of Bethlehem, a lion and a lamb, etc.  My biggest score so far has been a 10 Commandments ornament.  Can you believe it?!?  Leave it to Hobby Lobby for the overtly religious ornaments!

Aaron and I made the decision that we will still do "fun" stuff like cookies for Santa and Elf on the Shelf.  We decided there was nothing inherently evil or dangerous about those kinds of traditions.  But, we want to make sure that we are emphasizing the main thing at Christmas.  The Jesse Tree seemed like a really cool way to keep our focus in those busy, busy days leading up to Christmas where we can forget what it's all about.

I'm already getting excited about next Christmas!

P.S.  Stay tuned as I start posting about some of the projects I have going on at my house!  I am a domestic goddess these days!  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment