Sunday, January 2, 2011

If Mama Ain't Happy...

A few weeks ago, Aaron had to make a difficult call regarding his schedule over the holidays. To be frank, I wasn't thrilled. I began to construct my argument and started my protest despite the fact that I knew his decision was not easy and he wasn't thrilled either. As I launched into my counterpoint debate, he cut me off and said, "Please just support me on this. You have no idea how much your attitude affects my attitude. Can we just make the best of this situation?"

His comment stopped me in my tracks and it bounced around in my head for a few days. As I was thinking about it, I was reminded of the old quote, "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.". Then it hit me. That is so true. My attitude sets the tone for my family's attitude. Most of the time we use that quote as a funny little quip to indicate that Mama should be kept happy. But, what if Mama realized that her attitude was a choice? When I make the choice to be joyful, make the best of a bad situation, smile even when I'm exhausted...I set the tone for how my family reacts. Yes, my husband's leadership in our family is important. Yes, I must teach my girls that they choose their attitude. But, there is just something about being the Mama that really sets the mood in a home.

Wow. That's a lot of pressure. Each and every day I choose my attitude and, in turn, I choose the attitude of my home for the day. When Mama is stressed, the whole house is tense. When Mama is angry, there's a dark cloud hanging over everyone. When Mama is quick to encourage, then everyone feels loved. When Mama serves her family without complaining, she cultivates an attitude of service.

Choose your attitude carefully, Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment