Saturday, January 1, 2011

Becoming Domesticated

So, why the title to this blog?  I wanted something that kind of captured where I am in my life right now.  There are a lot of things that define my life right now.  I'm a wife and a mom.  I'm learning to sew.  I'm trying to learn to creatively save money.  I love home decor stuff.  I'm a reluctant crafter...sometimes, when the inspiration hits me.  Hey, sometimes I even cook for my family.

These are all things which were completely (and I do mean completely) foreign to me just a few years ago. I guess you could say that I am feeling a transition in my life.  My heart, my passions, my priorities have been all over the place during, let's say, the last 10 years or so of my life.  I'm just feeling this movement of my heart and passions to my home.  The birth of my twin daughters 15 months ago brought an abrupt end to life as I knew it.  I fought that - even resented that - for a short while.  But, I have learned to embrace my life, my home, my family.  I'm learning to serve them (and it really is all about serving my family) in new and creative ways.  As cheesy as it sounds, my heart is turning towards my home.  It's my process of becoming domesticated.

It's still kind of foggy to me what domestication looks like for me.  In my mind, I envision that I am Martha Stewart. Then I try to pull off something very Martha-esque and it completely flops. I am realizing that in all this domestication I have to be me.  I have my own style, my own passions, likes, dislikes.  I am becoming the domesticated version of myself.  These are my adventures in becoming domesticated.

No comments:

Post a Comment