Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Peep Art

I don't have the biggest sweet tooth in the world.  Don't get me wrong, I do love to eat.  But, candy and sweets aren't particularly my "thing".  Give me some pasta or fried chicken or mashed potatoes...then we're talking.  However, I do have this tremendous love for Easter candy.  I love Cadbury Eggs, Reese's Eggs and, of course, the quintessential Easter favorite, Peeps.  This is just the best time of year when the stores devote an entire aisle to all my favorites.  The other day as I was looking at Easter basket stuff for my girls, I remembered this guy I saw on the Today Show (my source for all knowledge) who did art with Peeps. He did this really cool graphic, pop art looking stuff.  I made a mental note.

So, I picked up a couple of boxes of Peeps.  They come in all kinds of colors and shapes now besides the traditional yellow birds, were you aware of this?  I chose some green chicks.


For the record, I also picked up one of these (and ate in the car):


But, that has nothing to do with where I am going with this post.

Anyway, in order to actually do something with my little Peeps, I had to find the proper receptacle.  I remembered that they guy on the Today Show had done mostly framed art.  But, in order to fit a Peep, it would have to have depth like a shadow box.  I immediately remembered that Hobby Lobby had just the thing.  


I picked this one out - unfinished wood saved me some cash - it only cost $3.50.  I sprayed it down with some leftover pink spray paint I had from a project for the girls' birthday party.


Then, I started lining up my Peeps using the glue gun to secure them.


All my Peeps in a row (it's just fun saying "Peeps")


I thought it still needed a little "something", so I dug around and found some ribbon (again from the girls' birthday project...I should show you that sometime).  I think this topped it off nicely.


I am loving how it turned out!  I thought it would be a nice seasonal addition to the girls' pink and green room.  However, I think it is so fun that it could be used year-round as a bit of the unexpected on the wall!  I'm even considering another project with the more traditional yellow chicks...I'll keep thinking on that one!

1 comment:

  1. love love love this....what a neat thing to come up with.
    I knew all about those other things you like eat(mainly fried chicken),but the peeps caught me off guard.Not a favorite for most people..the only other person I know likes them was Greg....he wanted those and solid ear rabbits...made his Easter.

    ReplyDelete